Paying for Your Education

Adult students can and should apply for scholarships and financial aid.
Explore all of your options including school and community-based scholarships and tuition assistance programs through your employer.
Below are
resources containing information about sources of support to help pay for your education.

Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®)

Use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form to apply for financial aid for college or graduate school.

Federal financial aid is distributed through grants, work-study, and loans.

  • Grants are funds that do not have to be repaid.
  • Work-study are funds earned through a student-friendly job on or near campus while attending school.
  • Loans are borrowed funds that must be repaid with interest.

Create an FSA ID

Complete the FAFSA® form

Estimate eligibility for federal financial aid

Check usage of federal grants and loans

Complete loan entrance or exit counseling

Learn about student aid, requirements, payment plans, etc.:

Federal student loans, also known as government loans, allow students and parents/guardians to borrow money for college directly from the federal government.

California Grants

California administers several programs that provide college grants.

Veteran and Military Benefits

VA education benefits help veterans, service members, and their qualified family members with needs like paying college tuition, finding the right school or training program, and getting career counseling.

Employer Assistance

Many employers offer tuition assistance programs that pay a portion or the full cost of an employee’s tuition, lab fees, and books. If you are employed, check with your Human Resources Department to learn if your employer offers tuition assistance.

If your employer does offer tuition assistance ask for a copy of the company policy that explains how to access this benefit, the expectations for student performance, and any repayment requirements that may be in place.